The Drugs in Pregnancy decision support cautions healthcare providers if the drug being prescribed to a pregnant woman is harmful to the developing child.
MIMS provides this evidence-based module within the MIMS Integrated product allowing software vendors to incorporate important warnings that will alert the medical practitioner when prescribing medications throughout each trimester.
Pregnancy data is principally composed of pregnancy letter categories from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and/or the Australian Drug Evaluation Committee (ADEC); and may contain short comments based on literature review of current studies and guidelines. Drug safety data for women of childbearing age are also included to avoid inadvertent exposure of the foetus to an unsafe drug, especially in unplanned pregnancies.
- Data on pregnancy letter categories are from official product information labels approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and/or the Australian Drug Evaluation Committee (ADEC).
- Comments are evaluated information on drugs and pregnancy from recognised published medical literature or internationally accepted drug references.
- Monthly updates are completed using leads from online tertiary references, and safety updates from the FDA and ADEC.
- Pregnancy letter categories specific to the route of administration are included.
- For drugs without assigned pregnancy letter categories, any available data from studies/guidelines/recommendations is provided.
Our decision support editorial team, based in Singapore, comprises of a Managing Editor and clinical database research editors who are either Pharmacists or Doctors. Editors research, review and collate information to be included in the database, and ensure that the information is accurate and up to date.
To remain unbiased, data from product information, commercial and non-authoritative references are never used; rather, the information is researched and reviewed using only international references and sources. All information is later proofed by a second editor before it is released into the database to ensure consistency and accuracy of the information.
This module is available for our MIMS Integrated product.